So, what is after-abortion trauma?
It's the emotional impact that is sometimes experienced by both men and women after the abortion experience, due to unresolved psychological, physical and spiritual aspects. Symptoms are similar to those in any post traumatic stress disorder and are listed below.
Emotional and Psychological Impact:
The uncomfortable feelings associated with an abortion may not appear all together. Nor will each woman or man possess all of them. Note these symptoms may appear immediately, as in hours, days, weeks or months ~ or may not surface for 2-20 years following the procedure.
- Bouts of crying
- Inability to forgive yourself
- Intense grief / sadness
- Anger / rage
- Emotional numbness
- Sexual problems or promiscuity
- Eating disorders
- Lowered self esteem
- Drug and alcohol abuse
- Nightmares and sleep disturbances
- Suicidal urges
- Difficulty with relationships
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Multiple abortions
- Pattern of repeat crisis pregnancy
- Discomfort around babies or pregnant women
- Fear / ambivalence of pregnancy